Rice & Bean Casserole
This is a great one-pan dish that everyone likes!
For 1 people ()
- 1 tablespoon(s) Canola oil
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 cup(s) Chopped Sweet Green Bell Pepper
- 540 mL Black Beans OR Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
- 796 mL Diced Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup(s) Water
- 1 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cumin
- 127 mL Chopped Green Chilies (optional)
- 1 cup(s) Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 1 cup(s) Shredded Monterey Jack OR Cheddar Cheese
Rice & Bean Casserole Directions
- Using a large frypan, with a tight fitting lid, add the oil and heat.
- Now add the onion and bell peppers. Cook and stir until the onion is softened.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, water, salt, cumin and chilies.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the rice. Put the lid on and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Some liquid will remain but as the dish sits, some of the water will be absorbed.
- Remove the lid. Add cheese and continue heating until cheese has softened.
- Tip: Spoon this dish into a 10 cup deep casserole dish. This can be made ahead and reheated.